1626 pages! That’s how long the agenda is for the next Knysna Mayoral Committee. In there, there’s bound to be controversy considering the craziness of the past 2 weeks.
Download the Mayoral Committee (MAYCO) agenda for November 26 2015:
- 26/11/2015 Mayoral Committee Agenda Part 1 (85.3MB)
- 26/11/2015 Mayoral Committee Agenda Part 2 (138MB)
- 26/11/2015 Mayoral Committee Agenda Part 3 (97.7MB)
No human being can get through that agenda in time let alone Councillors that have English as their second language.
Wouldn’t it be better if Mayor Georlene Wolmarans divided this into two meetings? I think that there have been less of these meetings this year than there were last year. It has long been the view among some of us that agendas get drowned or presented too late so that matters can be pushed through more easily – will that happen here? One of those steamy matters is the removal of the word “public”from the Roads & Traffic by-law, a move that some see as a preemptive by the DA to allow public drinking areas.
- The proposed public drinking areas are not on the agenda, apparently being left until Dec 10 when the Ordinary Council Meeting will be held. That raises the question why the Knysna Municipality and DA Councillor Irene Grootboom told the Smutsville Community that they could not provide another (requested) public participation meeting as there was no time.
- Why are the politicians deliberately ignoring my invitation to Parliament. First they use the flimsiest of excuses to tell Parliament that they can’t attend so that the meeting is postponed. Now they deliberately leave it off the agenda. They don’t get to pick and choose what they don’t like. They have to include whatever affects our town.
The Mayor’s special committee will include Esme Edge, Irene Grootboom, Elrick Van Aswegen and, thanks to his support for public drinking, the now very well known Peter Myers. The meeting will be held in Council chambers in Clyde Street on Thursday, November 26, at 8am. Expect a long one (but, especially if you’re retired, please turn up).