As a follow-on to ‘Politicians’ Salary Increase Vote = Quickest Council Meeting’, here’s the new upper limit salaries for Knysna’s politicians.
The official description is the ‘Determination of Upper Limits of Salaries, Allowances and Benefits of Different Members of Municipal Councils’ under the Remuneration of Public Office Bearers Act 1998.
As they’re paid retrospectively, they can vote not to receive the back-pay, before Financial year end, normally May (somewhere close to election time). It is up to the public to apply pressure so that they do not receive it.
Do you believe that they’re worth this?
- Mayor Georlene Wolmarans (DA) – R758 012
- Speaker Eleanore Spies (DA) – R606 410
- Deputy Mayor Esme Edge (DA) – R606 410
- Councillor Elrick van Aswegen (COPE) – R568 510
- Councillor Louisa Hart (DA) – R568 510
- Councillor Irene Grootboom (DA) – R568 510
- Councillor Peter Myers (DA) – R568 510
- Councillor Stephen de Vries (MPAC Chairperson & ANC) – R293 217
- Councillor Thobeli Dyanti (ANC) – R228 481
- Councillor Mertle Gombo (ANC) – R228 481
- Councillor Ntombizanele Grace Jantjies (Independent) – R228 481
- Councillor Wiseman Litoli (ANC) – R228 481
- Councillor Migiel Lizwani (ANC) – R228 481
- Councillor Louisa Hart (DA) – R228 481
- Councillor Doris Naylor (DA) – R228 481
- Councillor Phumla Nkam (ANC) – R228 481
- Councillor Beauty Tyokolo (DA) – R228 481
- Councillor Willemse (DA) – R228 481
If my memory serves correctly, the DA has voted for pay increases 4 out of 5 times. The ANC voted for it every time.
Additionally, councillors receive R1739 per month towards their cellphones. They also receive laptops.
An exceptional benefit i consider questionable is ANC Chief Whip Stephen de Vries and his fellow party member, Clive Witbooi, having their higher education fees paid by Knysna Municipality with no objection from the DA (WHY?).