I told you in detail what happened with the DA’s Peter Myers at the Ward 10 public participation meeting regards the proposed public drinking areas.
The public gave valuable input but Myers was evasive when asked simple questions. It would appear that he’s a major player behind trying to force this law through. After all, he’s strangely attended several other public participation meetings (outside his ward). He doesn’t acknowledge the reality of our town’s alcohol problems. Instead, he’s steadfast for drinking areas… and, whether intentional or not, he and the DA has opened up a racist powder keg that is dividing our town.
Now Peter Myers has shown that he is prepared to lie for his agenda…
Here is the email i sent him and his juvenile/unconstitutional responses:
On 19 Nov 2015, at 5:37 AM, Love Knysna – Mike <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
I find it concerning that information regarding the proposed designated drinking areas was posted on the SABC website yesterday whilst the matter is in heated debate, the DA and Council on one side, the public on the other
As an article, the “marketing department” of Knysna Municipality did not fairly reflect the situation i.e. the huge public groundswell against it.
But more disturbing, considering this is the SABC website, is that it is more likely that Christopher Bezuidenhout issued a press release (which would make it propaganda).
Please clarify if it was a reporter or not. If so, supply their details please. If not, please inform me who instructed Bezuidenhout to act this way.
It’s a matter of a telephone call or popping your head into the next office. Appreciate you responding this morning so that i can post this afternoon.
I considered that a straightforward letter but Peter Myers responded with his normal evasion (note, especially, the words in bold):
Your blog is so biased and out of touch that there seems little purpose in corresponding with you. Show us that you want to be taken seriously and we will respond accordingly.
Your characterisation of the designated areas debate and the public participation process is so far off the mark that any rational response to you in this regard would be a waste of time.
I will however say that you insult the large numbers of Knysna residents who want to and indeed do, interact with their municipality on a constructive and meaningful basis.
What actually happened was:
- Peter Myers, again, refused to answer questions. He is my Ward Councillor and a servant of the public. He is obligated, by law to be productive and responsive. He doesn’t get to choose who he deals with. He has to deal with everyone, including me.
- At the public participation meeting, i was reasonable in my questioning. There were many witnesses as to that and that Myers wouldn’t answer me.
There’s always a propaganda mill running against me, normally by our politicians an their friends, especially those connected, in some way, to the Knysna Tourism, the organisation that i consider acted as it’s own kingdom, robbing us, the public. I consider Peter Myers to be a key figure in that cover-up as he was then the vice-Chairperson of the DA Constituency for Knysna and he was at the meeting with MEC Alan Winde which resulted in zero investigation and a refusal to hand over a recording of that meeting.
Some people, far too many, believe in only what’s convenient to them. For the others, i am constantly trying to show what actually happened. It’s an unfortunate back-against the wall situation that takes up valuable time. But i want Truth to be paramount so, here, i contacted several people, sending them my blog link, the SABC link and Peter’s response to me:
- Ian Uys, the Chairperson if the Knysna Ratepayers’ Association (KRA). Long readers will remember that i severely criticised the KRA two years ago. That never went down well with them. Consequently, there is no reason for the KRA to agree with me. I thank Uys for having the integrity to treat the matter separately and appropriately with: “I considered your (and our) requests reasonable at the Ward 10 meeting. Peter Myers represents the DA’s stance so had to side-slip issues – yet he promised to take the Ward’s 99% against drinking view to Council on 10th December. The press release does favour their viewpoint. Only Dr [Martin] Young seemed to side with the KM at the meeting. We still want to know who’s behind it and why – when last year was a relatively peaceful without public consumption of alcohol.”
- Well known activist, Susan Campbell, agreed telephonically that i’d represented the meeting fairly and considered it a good article.
- Elaine King, the editor of the Knysna-Plett Herald, was sent the same details but with contact details for many who were at the public participation meeting. It is newsworthy that Myers wouldn’t answer important questions at the Ward 10 meeting, that the Knysna Municipality may be misrepresenting the situation to other media, and that Myer’s response to me included a lie. The topic is very much news in our town and i’d be surprised if there wasn’t something about it in this week’s edition. I was giving it an extra angle. King never responded the past 4 days so i gave her a call this morning and all i understood out of a 20-minute call (that included other matters), is that i’m not going to be treated fairly by her and the newspaper.
I never misrepresented what happened with Peter Myers. He and the DA are deliberately clouding the public drinking and tourism issues. If they weren’t, then why are they not prepared to answer simple questions?
Omission, in important matters, can be considered lie too.
Peter Myers took the Councillor Oath only 4 months ago. How quickly our politicians forget who they serve.